Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Confession: Sometimes I Read Books Way Below My Grade Level.

I blame this on the fact that I am going into elementary education.  That's my excuse.  But really, who cares!  There is some great children's literature out there, and just because I'm no longer in elementary school doesn't mean I can't read it.  I took a children's literature class last semester where all we did was read and discuss children's books.  It was the best homework I ever had.


1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.  I read this book when I was in 6th grade with my class and remember loving it.  Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which turn up and help Meg and her friends rescue her dad in Camazotz.

2. Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli is about a boy who becomes a local legend.  It's a great story and it also touches on topics of racism and homelessness as Maniac is an orphan. 

3.  The Giver by Lois Lowry.  I love this book!  It's kind of hard to explain without reading, but it is set in a future town where the community has converted to sameness.  This eliminates emotion and problems of difference.  Jonas receives his calling as The Receiver and his eyes are opened to what emotion and feeling can do.

4. The Wish Giver by Bill Brittain.  My third grade teacher, Mr. Blood (yes his name was really Mr. Blood.  If that doesn't scare a 3rd grader into obedience I don't know what does) read this book to us and I have read it many times since.  It's about a mysterious man who comes to a small town and grants wishes.  The young people learn they have to be careful what they wish for.




5.  The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein has got to be one of my favorite picture books.  It's about a tree who loves a little boy and gives everything she has to make him happy.  It's a very sweet story of love and giving.

6.  The Junie B. Jones Series by Barbara Park.  These books are hilarious!  It's about a little girl named Junie and her dramas in kindergarten.  I was reading this to my little sister and laughing out loud because the things she says and thinks are so funny.





My goal this summer is to start these series:

7.  Percy Jackson and the Olympians.  Greek gods in children's literature?  I think so!  They made this into a movie, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.  I'm really excited to read these books.

8.  A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.  These poor children have everything that can possibly go wrong, go wrong.  They made this into a movie that was excellent and I'm dying to read these books!



If you're looking for something quick and easy to read, I would recommend any of these.  Happy reading :)

2 comments:

  1. I loved the giver {in the 7th grade!! hehe!!} I have been meaning to re-read it! And I highly enjoyed The Series Of Unfortunate Events series!!
    I really loved reading under-my-grade-level books too, until I could finish them in a day and then I started reading much longer and wordy books. :(
    But I may have to re-pick up some of these!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. they really are so nice! you can get through a book in a day, and they are great stories! love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I really do love them! I'm a slacker when it comes to responding, but it really makes my day to hear what you have to say :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...